01733863744 pscb@peterborough.gov.uk

Safeguarding Referral Form

Before you make a referral

If a professional has a concern regarding a child or young person they must follow their agency’s policy, including communicating with the safeguarding lead or a safeguarding professional within their organisation.  If that is not possible your Safeguarding Lead should contact Peterborough Children’s Social Care (CSC) for advice on safeguarding concerns (01733 864180 or 864170).  However, the family should be aware you are seeking advice, it will be formally recorded and they may have to act on the information you share with them if they assess a child as being at immediate risk.

Data protection law applies when making a referral.  The parents/carers of a child should be aware of the referral and the information it contains unless informing them places the child or children at a substantial level of risk.  Parental consent will always be required to share their information and to seek additional information from other agencies unless a child is at risk of serious harm.  If parents/carers have not given consent, best practice would be that they have been informed and you will need to provide evidence showing a risk of serious harm for CSC to be able to respond effectively.

Safeguarding children is the paramount responsibility of all.  If you have evidence that a child is at risk of significant harm please contact the numbers above for a telephone discussion with a Team Manager or Advanced Practitioner.

To make a referral to Peterborough Children’s Social Care, please use the referral form below

Joint Referral Form – Updated September 2016

To be used by all agencies that wish to report concerns about a risk to a child or young person


For Cambridgeshire: 0345 045 5203 – (8am to 6pm Mon – Fri)

Or Peterborough: 01733 864170 – (9am to 5pm Mon – Fri).

Out of hours emergencies 01733 234724.

As a concerned member of the public, if you suspect or believe a child is suffering or is likely to suffer Significant Harm, including any form of mistreatment or abuse, you should report your concerns. Any referral will be treated in the strictest confidence.

Emergency If a child is in immediate danger or left alone, you should contact the Police or call an Ambulance on 999.

Non-Emergency If there is no immediate danger or you need advice or information, you should contact the following numbers:

Children’s Services, Referral & Assessment: 01733 864170 or 864180 Out of Hours: 01733 234724 Police: 101

If you are a professional who works with children, you should first discuss your concern with your Manager or Designated Professional. If there are still concerns you should contact the numbers above.

If you or another child are being mistreated or abused, you should talk to someone about it.

You can do this in confidence by calling Childline on 0800 1111.

If you or someone else are in danger, call the Police on 999

If there is no immediate danger, you should call the referral and Assessment Team: 01733 864180

If you have concerns or suspicions about a colleague or professional/carer (including volunteers), you must report them. Talk to a Manager, Designated Professional.

You could also contact the NSPCC

See the Peterborough SCB, Allegations Against Staff, Carers and Volunteers Procedure

For more detail of the Referral process and what happens next in Peterborough, please see the following Peterborough (PSCB) Procedures:

If you want to discuss your concerns or need advice e.g. if you not sure whether your concerns are justified, you would like more information about issues like confidentiality or you would like to know what happens next (after you have reported your concerns), do one of the following:

Check Peterborough LSCB Procedures