This protocol has been developed to ensure that there is a unified regional approach to the safeguarding issues relating to unaccompanied asylum seeking children (UASC). The recommendation to develop a regional UASC safeguarding protocol was agreed by the Regional Police Asylum Forum in and the Directors of Children and Young People’s and Local Safeguarding Children Boards.
The protocol includes:
- Guidelines to ensure that local authorities, the Police and the UK Border Agency (UKBA) liaise at the earliest opportunity to record the personal details and biometric data of newly arrived UASC.
- A sub-protocol for conducting age-assessments.
- Guidelines to ensure that newly arrived UASC are placed in appropriate types of regulated supported, accommodation suitable for vulnerable looked after children and young people; particularly in relation to ‘out of hours’ referrals and over weekends.
- A sub-protocol outlining a unified response to trafficked children and a risk assessment toolkit to identify the victims of trafficking.
- A sub-protocol outlining a unified response to UASC that go missing from care.
- East of England Unaccompanied Asylum Seeking Children (UASC) – Oct 2015 (pdf)
- Please also see the January 2012 UK Border Agency letter regarding data sharing in respect of children from abroad.